High Incidence of Traumatic Brain Injury in Prison Population ~ Los Angeles Lawyer Articles

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

High Incidence of Traumatic Brain Injury in Prison Population

A new report indicates a substantially increased risk of traumatic brain injury in prison inmates compared to the general, non-incarcerated population. Brain injury among prisoners is a much neglected and underestimated health and safety issue facing these people.

According to the study Traumatic Brain Injury among Prisoners, brain injuries are believed to affect an estimated 25% to 87% of the prison population in the country. In comparison, about 8.5% of the non-incarcerated population of the country suffers from traumatic brain injury. The incidence of traumatic brain injury in the prison population therefore, may be as much as 10 times as in the non-incarcerated population.

There have been other studies and surveys that have pointed to the causes of such injuries. In a study conducted among male prisoners in Minnesota, the survey found that of the 998 inmates, an approximate 82% reported having suffered from one or more head injuries during their lives. Most of these injuries were caused by assault, auto accidents and sports accidents. However, the Minnesota study seems to indicate that prisoners may also be at risk of suffering brain injury because of certain unique prison factors. For instance in Minnesota, incarcerated gang members are sometimes initiated through a procedure called “pumpkinhead,” in which a person is severely beaten until his head swells like a pumpkin.

Another study showed that traumatic brain injury occurs among prisoners who knock their heads against the cell walls or bars until they are unconscious. This is very often seen in persons who are restrained in isolated cells.

The report makes for fascinating reading. California brain injury attorneys suspect that the problem is even greater in California with its overcrowded and congested prisons that have recently been criticized by the Supreme Court because of the lack of medical care.

1 comment:

Debbie Wilson said...

Do you have stats on inmates with brain injury prior to the felony that got them incarcerated? I am a 2 x brain injury survivor. I am amedically reti4red probation and parole officer from Fl. I definitely am aware of the angerandrage that become a problem that can ultimately lead to incarceration. How can we promote awarenessof this pitfal?

Controlling My Rage.

There was an instantaneous accident,
and I forever hurt my brain.
Now I live with a short fuse I must control,
or I will throw my life down the drain.
There were incidents that could have
landed me in a cage,
Those incidents taught me there were
specific triggers for my rage. b
Physical pain was an anger trigger
that was brand new to me,
My initial responses were not rational,
I knew without control I would pay a horrific fee.
I was afraid at times, I might hurt
someone else really bad.
In time, I learned to control my mouth and hands,
I did not want to lose any more than I already had.
Many brain injury survivors end up in prison
and I could have ended up there too,
I learned I am still responsible for my own behavior,
and my brain injury friend so are YOU!

By:
DebbieWilson

 
Add to Technorati Favorites